INNATE SQUARE SIDE TABLE - JON GOULDER
This is one of a range of coffee/side tables, in new shapes and materials, recently added to the distinctive collection of Australian-made pieces by this lauded Adelaide-based designer. Their spare, linear form embodies a sense of quiet refinement that is also evident in the choice of materials used. They are not least, imbued with an innate Australian sensibility.
These stylistically minimal tables are characterised by a top in either solid timber, rare stone, or marble, and produced in very small editions; the respective tops are then paired with a steel base: black powder-coated, referred to as ‘Night’, or in patinated brass, called 'Day'.
The overall aesthetic of the collection is informed by the shared ethos of both the designer / maker and his collaborator, Fiona Lyda – founder of esteemed retailer Spence & Lyda – to allow the materials to speak in their most natural and/or simplest states. The resulting pieces possess an inherent design integrity and language that is underpinned by honest construction.
The Innate collection comprises a Console, a new Bedside Table, Desk and Dining Table as well as various Side and Coffee Tables: with a round top or now in rectangular and square versions.
Side Table: 600 x 600 x H 600 mm
MATERIALS / FINISHES
- Blue Roma Quartzite*
- Tasmanian Oak with a natural or ‘pickled’ finish*
- Tasmanian Blackwood with a natural or ‘pickled’ finish*
- Rock Maple with a natural finish
- Walnut with a natural finish
- Steel with black powder-coating
- Brass with an electroplated (patinated 'bronze') finish
- once sold out, a different (feature) stone top will be follow.
- producing this particular ‘pickled’ finish involves a process of steeping steel wool in vinegar, and then rubbing the surface of the piece, the result being each timber reacting differently to typically produce a contrasting effect of deep blacks with smoky taupes.